Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Unfinished breastfeeding cover

My brother gave me the remnants of his altered jeans. I loved it. Just waiting for the right project. I thought I'd make it into something sweet. Not sure if I'd use it though (I mean in the project which I'm supposed to stick it to). Anyhow I did anyway just to see how it would turn out. I made a flower inspired by a blog I read. I don't remember which but there's also another method in the Sew Hip! magazine which I bought last year. The magazine method was to cut the fabric circle shape and baste (jelujur) around the circle with seam. Pull the basting thread and you will get a sekuncup bunga (a bud of flower). I on the other hand cut the fabric rectangle shape, fold it to half and baste around the raw edges and pull the basting thread. Shape it to suit your liking and sew everything in place.

The altered jeans.

I cut the jeans around.

Tarraaa...the flower. I also did one with the fabric I'm working on. It's so infectious, I actually made 3.
This is what happens when one has a child who is very creative and who's mother does not have a proper sewing corner.
I was also having some issues with sewing the breastfeeding cover I'm working on. I made bias using the same fabric but somehow I did not manage to sew them clean cut. I was not happy with the finish so ended up opening them and consult my sifu, my mom. She taught me this before but I guess I forgot. Easy peasy....
- right sides together (bias and fabric), sew the seam allowance
- snip the straight edges and wedge clip the outer curves
- fold in the bias towards the wrong side
- since I am no pro, my sifu asked me to baste (jelujur) before sewing

Seam allowance and snip

Wedge clip the outer curves

Baste trough before sewing *for beginners like me

Sew around with the sewing machine.
The results were satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment